This glorious device presented a number of issues. For one thing, it's really slow.
Another issue was that it absolutely refused to allow touch interaction with the Google Maps map I had on the web page. After trying everything possible, and scouring the web for a couple of hours to no avail, I found the culprit.
It turns out that touch interaction is only going to work when the browser is configured to display pages in mobile mode. You can set it by going to Settings -> Advanced -> Select view mode -> Mobile, and then reloading the page.
However, this isn't the end of the story. While touch interaction became enabled, all the controls on the map (both standard and custom) were gone.
Some more investigation showed that they were hidden behind the map tiles, and had to be forced to the foreground by applying
-webkit-transform: translate3d(0,0,0); to classes like
.gmnoprint and my custom control
divs. I found this solution in http://stackoverflow.com/q/9140818/221619.